The Transcultural Mental Health Centre Shared Stories Project provided an opportunity for people with lived experience of mental illness to share their story.
The Shared Stories Project aimed to:
- help people going through a mental illness to understand what is happening to them and to assist with the recovery process;
- provide role models from similar backgrounds for people experiencing mental illness;
- provide an opportunity for people living with a mental illness to express themselves;
- break down the stigma and stereotypes that can be associated with mental illness;
- help service providers to better understand the experiences of culturally diverse people with lived experience of mental illness and to help us improve our services.
If you would like to share your own story, read our guidelines (PDF 11.3KB) and contact us via email at [email protected].
Click on the links below to read some of the stories we have collected. Note all stories are published with the consent of the participants and have been de-identified to protect both the participants and their families.
If are distressed by the contents of any of these stories and would like to talk to a professional please call the Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511.